Friday, December 4, 2015

Clearing My Quora Reading List

Hi! Yes it’s been awhile since my last post but just a lot of things going on lately and also learning algorithms takes A LOT of time and energy. But at least this time I am motivated: I realized this is the final frontier in what I should learn... and I may need it to really get a job that doesn’t feel like work and pays appropriately…

Also... it seems understanding, implementing and applying this stuff to solve real problems... is kind of interesting....

I’m also on vacation (at home) this week so clearing up a lot of things lower priority things on the To Do List, in particular my Quora Reading List. 

Below, I've categorized each into it's own section.

Google

I’m not too serious about working here yet but I was reminded of all the algo stuff by one of their recruiters, so I guess for me it would be a dream goal. Icing on the cake… but honestly… free food is great but I use a lot of their apps … and I’ve found a lot of issues and annoyances…

But... at work I have been complaining for months about a bug in an internal API my team uses. I know the manager directly so finally he said “here’s the source code; you figure it out”. I did… after looking through a few code files in less than 30 minutes… So lately I've also been thinking that I need a change...

https://www.quora.com/What-should-I-expect-in-a-Software-Engineer-interview-at-Google-and-how-should-I-prepare Good tips and I found out who Gayle Laakmann McDowell is.. But yea I have a long way to go… I don’t have any CS background… :(

https://www.quora.com/I-just-had-a-first-interview-at-Google-I-coded-the-right-solution-on-the-board-but-the-interviewer-helped-me-several-times-along-the-way-How-likely-am-I-to-pass
Interviewers at Google are more interested in your thought process and ability to solve problems than your ability to answer a single question
https://www.quora.com/Does-ones-extreme-knowledge-of-Android-programming-alone-able-to-fetch-that-person-a-job-at-Google
No. Google, like most companies of that caliber, doesn't care much about which programming languages/technologies you know.
... 
To be perfectly honest, people who define their programming skills by their languages/technologies tend to struggle more.
I have seen others whose projects were designed so well and the people on it were so knowledgeable that he could take 3-week vacations without a hiccup. Jokes about job security aside, Google is smart enough to value the latter more because it is a cornerstone of good leadership. Moreover, it has the added bonus that people will want to work on your project because they learn a lot and have a chance of growing

Hm…. Since I can take vacations without my code blowing up in Production am I a good developer who automated and documented a lot of things… or just working on a tiny project?


https://www.quora.com/Is-it-hard-to-get-a-job-at-Google Based on Stephen Kurtzman’s answer I might have a chance… if I can learn all that stuff… and they actually do something that interests me…

https://www.quora.com/Is-working-at-Google-overrated Apparently not... Not sure what projects though… the one’s I see are pretty…. Meh…

Software Development Questions

I think Quora feels that most of what I like (and I guess that’s true) so I get a lot of these on my Feed.



Solid experience in all of this takes a while, but it's one of those situations where being ahead keeps you ahead. Once you have breadth and depth, you'll be stronger and more flexible than most professional programmers, which will help you find better and more challenging programming jobs, which will allow you to learn from the work and from others and keep improving your skills quickly.

It’s a pretty long list though and I really doubt I want to know C++…. But actually I think I have like 50%+ already..

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-growth-stages-of-a-programmer Stages are pretty interesting and varied…



So these last few again seem to be saying… revisit functional again…




Investing

Another topic I am kind of interested in… when I am not being burned by Mr. Market


Miscellanous

Random questions I’ve seen or asked.

The total US household value is $70 trillion so $16 trillion debt is nothing

Except 90%+ of that can just leave if the government wants to repay debt?
But the other problem they say is this is structural (I agree) but… we have a do nothing Congress (OK they can fight like 5 year olds) and they seem to be here to stay… maybe Trump should be President?... At least he’ll do something… I would hope…

Some good laughs

Alright "that's all folks!"

No comments:

Post a Comment