Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Move To Digitization

Actually a very old post, maybe 6 months ago (OK not that old) but just realized it was a draft. Didn;t really edit it though...

I'm preparing to move to a new house and the whole family is going through all our stuff and seeing what to keep or throw away... there's a lot...

I came across a huge piles and folders of CD/DVDs which I haven't touched in years. And I realized that people never use anything if takes significant effort to locate, even less so if it's not important.

(I also came across a lot of other stuff from my childhood which did bring back some interesting memories... more on this as well below)

Anyway, I guess this is also caused by the current shift in culture, where everything is digital and can be accessed almost instantly. Unfortunately, digging through volumes of DVDs or other stuff is too much work in this context, so it seems we just put it away and forget about them. This may work well for some stocks but this stuff takes up space somewhere and for most of the time, produce no value.

It's probably poorly organized as well.

Digital things though are usually really well organized in folders (at least for me) and there' is also the ability to search through huge amounts of it with very little effort.

So now I'm in the process of digitally archiving all those CDs into my external HD (and cloud, I got 2TB of space there as well).

I'm also going to take a few pictures of some of the old stuff that did bring back memories, mostly old school books. I don't know but to me, physically holding it doesn't really mean much to me but seeing the general contents brought out some sentimentalism so it seems the picture would be enough, maybe a video?

Either way, it seems the the digital form provides more value than the physical one and again: it takes up far less space, is now organize-able, and at my finger tips instead of in a box somewhere in the attic.

I can't wait until we have realistic VR with all senses... we could just can in all the old stuff or something and get rid of them and we would still be able to get the memories back.

No comments:

Post a Comment