Sunday, August 30, 2015

What is a 10x Programmer?

Sorry again... got sidetracked with a bunch of things: new interesting project at work, reading Team Geek, and an addictive mobile game (yea... and it seems blogging is still not really a habit yet).

Regarding Team Geek, great book.  It's written by some Googlers and filled with fun facts and funny pictures. It goes through a lot of ideas about how to be a great developer/engineer/manager/team player.

Recently a recruiter asked me what I would like in an ideal job, I wish I could just point him to this book.

OK... so originally I wanted to write a long post about the 10x Programmer, but I'll just keep my point short since I've had previous rants about Software Developer Heuristics and keeping things simple (this and this).

And that's really all there is to it, I think. So here's a summary:
  • Have a broad background and experience so that you can 
    • pick up new ideas quickly and integrate them to your existing knowledge base
    • develop an entire solution/proof-of-concept (front-, middle-, back-end) fairly quickly... and bug-free
    • have brain flashes of new ideas and solutions that make 1 + 1 > 2
  • Automate, automate, automate! 
    • Know how to identify and get the computer to do all the boring, repetitive work (basically the other 90%) 
    • Make it check your code so that releasing a bug is almost impossible (unit tests and automated integration tests)
    • Now you can focus your energy and time on doing something that actually has real value instead of trying to just keep the lights on


No comments:

Post a Comment